Wednesday, February 5, 2014

National Signing Day Memories...

well, today is the day that the new class of high school kids sign a very important piece of paper that says "yes, I will come play for your school". Ohh, that brings back one big memory for me.

The one (and so far, the only) NSD I covered while working in radio was the day Trent Smith signed his letter of intent to play for the University of Oklahoma.  There were only three members of the media observing the signing at the Clinton High School library....someone from the Clinton Daily News (I can't remember if it was Rod or someone else), a photog from NewsChannel 4 and little ol' me representing Wright Wradio.  I remember asking him "do you think you can bring the championship attitude to the University of Oklahoma?" May I remind you, he was one of  John Blake's last recruits at OU before Stoops took over the following season.  And the rest is history...

So to the new group of Sooners/Cowboys/Bulldogs/Hurricane/etc., congrats on one of the biggest days of your football playing career.  Now that that is out of the way...bear down, finish your senior year of HS strong academically, keep your head together and more importantly, don't be stupid!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment