Sunday, March 19, 2017

Wedding /St. Louis Recap...

Hello everyone!!! It's been a while since I last posted so thought I would type some thoughts out. Oh where do I begin...

Guess I will start with saying the wedding was beautiful and from my perspective it went very well. Of course I was the groom, I'm supposed to say that...Sharon may have her own thoughts on it.  After weeks and months of bugging and borderline harassing the meteorologists I follow, the weather was chilly but even though rain is considered good luck on a wedding day, it held off from the venue.  Driving to Tulsa on the other did rain on us a little bit leaving Oklahoma City but that was about it.  You'll see in some of the pictures for the outside shots I was wearing a coat due to the fact it was cold!!!

I think the only real anxious "sweating bullets" part of the whole day was waiting on my parents to arrive.  Once they got there, the ceremony began. My pastor from Yukon, Ron Rasmussen officiated the ceremony along with Sharon's brother Joe.  After Ron made some opening remarks, he turned it over to Joe who gave us a wonderful charge and then asked the families to come and join us as he prayed. 

When I was rehearsing everything in my head, I knew where I was going to be crying...when the bride came down the aisle, when I was saying my vows and so on.  I didn't know I would be crying so much when "Bless the Broken Road" started playing and Sharon was signing the song to me.  It's on my Facebook page somewhere, one of Sharon's teacher friends Andrea got it on video. I actually didn't cry when I read my vows, both to Sharon and to her daughters Elizabeth and Matea.

Fast forwarding now to the pronouncement...I don't know who was excited to get to that part more, Ron or Sharon because she was more than ready to get to the "you may now kiss the bride" part.  I had a couple of "oops" moments just walking out during the recessional...I stepped on Sharon's train twice almost causing her to fall but other than that I thought it went okay.

The reception and everything was nice.  We got to mingle and thank the guests that came, visited with our families, even got to dance a little bit (don't think there's video of that).

The parts of the honeymoon that can be shared were fun.  Monday morning (the first morning we were in St. Louis) I had gotten up to use the bathroom in our motel room and when I came back to the bed and looked out the was snowing!!! Thankfully it was just on the car and on the grass and stuff, it didn't accumulate on the roads which would have made things even more interesting.  As a result, we weren't able to visit the Zoo there in St. Louis...but we did visit the Science Center (kinda like our Science Museum Oklahoma).  There's a picture of Sharon and I walking on the Skybridge that goes over I-64 which was fun.

The next morning it was still chilly so another thing that we wanted to do was scrapped -- actually it was more due to the fact that we didn't feel like doing a lot of window shopping and that was to go to the St. Louis Galleria.  I was hoping it would be comparable to Dallas' which I had been to with my brother or at the least Penn Square Mall.  But we did visit the Missouri History Museum and got to see a lot of interesting exhibits, including one on Route 66 and St. Louis' role in the Civil Rights movement of the 1960's.  The latter one included a lady who was in character as one of the ones who protested against a bank in town who wouldn't hire blacks.  They eventually relented.

There are some places that you have to visit when you're in St. Louis, some of which are for those of the beer persuasion to quote the late Lanny Ross. For Sharon and I it was Ted Drewe's Frozen Custard on Chippewa (which doubles as Route 66).  I had the Cookie Dough and it was yummy.

Last day of the honeymoon which would have been Wednesday, we got to visit the Old Cathedral of St. Louis.  It's still a functioning church as they have Mass there every day.  When we arrived they ask you to be reverent and be quiet.  I do have a couple of pictures up on Instagram. We also got to see the Gateway Arch up close and personal, but due to ongoing construction we didn't take the tram ride. After that we drove across the Mississippi just to say that we did go to Illinois, just to turn around and make it back because we were needing to be around the area of Busch Stadium so we could make our 12:30p tour.

I think my whole experience with the stadium tour will probably be shared on the podcast at some point.

Anyway, I've written more on this edition of the blog than I have on any other post so I will wrap it up here.  

That's about it for now.  Until next time...