Sunday, January 15, 2017

Diary of a 45 year old Football Fan

Hello and welcome to Keil's Comments: The Written Blog.  I'm having one of those sleepless Sunday mornings where it's hard for me to get some actual sleep -- even if I did take a Melatonin tablet beforehand. Just pray I can stay awake during church.

Anyway, on to the subject at hand and something that's been on my mind lately (no not wedding stuff). I have been a football fan since pretty much Day 3 (11/24/71 -- OU-Nebraska). Football has had those ebbs and flows with me as long as I can remember. Cases in point:

High School -- I've followed my beloved Clinton Red Tornadoes almost every year since I moved to Clinton when I was little. Yes we've had some great seasons and a few not so great ones but all in all I still support the Reds even living in Yukon and soon in Shawnee (thanks to the internet and being able to listen to NewsTalk KCLI online)

College -- another one of those that I've stuck with over the years are the Sooners. I've tried to do then "When in Rome..." thing when I was in Tennessee (I'd prefer Vol Orange over Texas Orange any day), but as the saying goes at the end of the day, I still bleed Crimson and Cream. Heck, even my groom's cake is going to be in the shape of an OU football.

Which leads me to the National...Football League (in my Howard Cosell voice).  I had been a fan of the Dallas Cowboys growing up -- when you grow up in the era of Staubach, Drew Pearson, Bob Lilly, Tony Dorsett and those guys you tend to appreciate what they did for the team back in the day.  Where my fandom ebbed for me was on two separate occasions...1) after Danny White retired they brought in some doozies like Steve Pelleur, Gary Hogeboom, Babe Laufenberg (who is the color analyst for the radio broadcasts) before they drafted former Sooner and Henryetta Hen (Knight) Troy Aikman. He along with Emmitt Smith, Michael Irvin and others got me liking the Cowboys again. Then the fandom ebbed again the past few seasons as I begun to root more and more for former Sooners that were going to other teams in the NFL. Sure I'd still root for the Cowboys every once in a while, but with the successes of AD, DeMarco, Sam and others it made it kinda hard, not to mention all the crappy seasons Dallas has had over the past 10 seasons.

Then, this season happened.

Like most of America, I couldn't help but be impressed with the play of the two rookies, QB Dak (short for Dakota) Prescott and RB Ezekiel Elliott.  Those two have gotten comparisons to Aikman and Smith and they've lived up to them quite nicely. Throw former Oklahoma Stater Dez Bryant into the mix and when he's not griping about not getting the ball he can do some good out there (yes like Irvin back in the day). I say that and then I realize Owner/GM/Meddler in Chief Jerry Jones will find some way to muck it up.

That's about it for now. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment