Thursday, July 10, 2014

Whatever Happened to...

I'm just pondering some things...feel free to comment on my musings.

1.  Whatever happened to "Real Journalism".  I'm talking the no holds barred, kick butt and take names journalism days of William R. Morrow, Walter Cronkite and Jack Ogle.  It seems as though the MSNBCs, CNNs and yes to an extent *Fox News forgot the bare essentials of journalism.  Instead of simply reporting a story, the networks want to throw something against a wall and see if it sticks (see Dan Rather).

*When I'm referring to Fox News, I'm talking about Fox News Channel not the local Fox affiliates.  They have their own little quirks, especially (if like our local Fox affiliate) they are owned by Sinclair which we found out in the 2004 election they themselves have a pretty radical tilt.

When a big story occurs, everyone wants to put the blame on somebody else.  "It's the liberales' fault" "It's the conservative's fault" "it's George W. Bush's fault" and so on and so on...

And don't get me started on Tango Mike Zulu...

2. Whatever happened to "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free..." That little sign of welcome on the base of the Statue of Liberty has all of a sudden been pushed out of the way because God forbid someone from Mexico or Cuba or somewhere in Central America decides they want to come to the US to build a better life for themselves and what do we do?  We stick them in military barracks in Ft. Sill, OK or anywhere else in the country, cut them off from the rest of civilization and make them, especially the children "political footballs".  I'm sure if a lot of our ancestors were treated then like the immigrants of today are treated, a lot of us would not be here. Am I right in making that assessment?

Those are just a few things that are weighing on my mind right now.  I'm sure if I think of more, I'll come back and do another post.  In the meantime, feel free to share this with your friends, your neighbors, whoever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment