Monday, July 11, 2011

One of life's "non-issues"...

As I am sitting here, an interesting topic comes on one of the sports channels. 

In case you are not a sports follower, I'll try to make a synopsis for you.  This weekend, New York Yankee shortstop Derek Jeter eclipsed 3,000 career hits with a home run during a game against Tampa Bay.  The person that got the baseball that was hit for the milestone, Christian Lopez,  just gave the ball to Jeter without any qualms, no "What's in it for me?", no demands for cash or memorabilia or what not.  The Yankees did however set the guy and his friends up with the use of a suite for the rest of the season and into the postseason (which was sweet)  and some Yankee swag.

But the point of the conversation on the sports shows I listened to and watched was, "Do you think the guy should have asked for something in return or did he do the right thing and just give it to the team w/no strings attached?"  I don't know about you, but to me that sounds like that's advocating being greedy.  "I've got this home run ball, but you can't have it unless you give me such and such."  Take it for what it's worth, but in my opinion the kid (I say "kid", he's 23...compared to my almost being 40) did the right thing.  He gave the ball to the Yankees and probably didn't expect anything in return.  He probably would say that the suite and everything else that the team did give was an unexpected blessing.

That's probably my "old school" way of thinking, but weren't we taught to obey the Golden Rule? (the original one "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you", not "he who has the gold makes the rules.")  To me, that's one of many "non-issues" that gets magnified far too often in the Fox News/ESPN/Nancy Grace microscopes.  Oh, did I mention Nancy Grace.  Don't get me started on her....

No comments:

Post a Comment