Thursday, March 8, 2018

Close Cover Before Striking

Hello everyone and welcome to the 100th Keil's Comments blog post. I was going to talk about this particular subject on the podcast but I don't think it can wait to get recorded.

There has been overwhelming chatter on the interwebs and on the news (like this story from News 9) about a move from the Oklahoma Education Association to a possible statewide school shutdown on April 2 if the State Legislature doesn't do their part and get something done to raise teachers' pay. Meanwhile, the Legislature is trying to do what they can to make sure a strike doesn't happen (here's another story from News 9).

And come to find out...we've been down this road before.  What's that old saying, "Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it." Let's hit the wayback machine to my senior year of high school -- 1990.  Once again from KWTV... Oklahoma educators moving closer to strike for first time since 1990

As I have stated many times on this blog and on the podcast, I have a vested interest in this subject both as a product of public school and as the spouse of an educator.  I am holding out hope that the folks at 23rd and Lincoln can get their collective heads together and do something!!! But if push comes to shove and the teachers do go on strike, if they'll let me I will be standing by Sharon's side. Yeah it may put a crimp in our financial situation, but I will do whatever it takes to help my wife and her colleagues make their voice heard!!!

That's about all I have for now...until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment