Tuesday, March 10, 2015

We Are, but We Aren't...

I know I should try to write more, but I usually write something as they come to me.  This one stuck out in my mind this morning...

As most of you know, I am a big radio and TV fan -- as evidenced by my pics and me "geeking out" over seeing the news choppers and meeting Linda Cavanaugh, Kevin Ogle et al last Saturday at Penn Square Mall and me meeting and getting a pic with Jenn Derrick from The House FM at Winter Jam but something also stuck with me.  As Russ Lee from NewSong was intro'ing Jenn and Adam from The House FM and reps from Air 1 and K-Love, the thought occurred to me "They are competitors, but they aren't." 

Allow me to explain...obviously Nielsen doesn't measure ratings for non-commercial stations (that includes the NPR's, community stations, etc) so stations of that type can't brag on who has the most listeners and so on.  But if you look at it this way, stations like Air 1, The House/My Praise FM, K-Love, to a certain extent AFR (the music side of it, not the talk part), Way-FM, etc...even though they are reaching certain audiences, certain demographics and what not...ultimately they are presenting the Gospel in a way that some people might understand it.  Sure it's one thing to teach about God's Love, but when you hear a song like "Proof of Your Love" by for King and Country and worship songs like "Oceans" or "Holy Spirit" it opens a whole lot more doors than a church ever would.  And Russ alluded to it Saturday night...there were many denominations represented at Chesapeake Energy Arena, but we were all there to worship and sing praises to God and got to rock out too!!!

So yeah, those stations I mentioned may be competing for your ears, for your support...but what it all boils down to is outreach and bringing people to Jesus, even if it means using a 50,000 or 100,000 watt blowtorch of a transmitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment