Wednesday, June 17, 2020

I'm not like most folks...

Hello everyone and welcome to this edition of Keil's Comments.

This post comes out of something that I was talking to Sharon about this week, so bear with me if things don't make sense.

As much as I love doing what I do at the radio station I work at, it's becoming more and more clearer that I should be working more than one day, three hours a week...especially in the last couple of months since Sharon's mom passed away. Since I got out of broadcasting school 15 years ago (!), I have wanted to work for stations in either Oklahoma City or Tulsa. I realize that in everything regarding the pandemic, stations have had to lay off a lot of folks including some people that I know because the money wasn't coming in but still I want to still say that I work for stations like KOMA, KMGL Magic 104.1, The Franchise or even the stations owned by Griffin (News 9/News on 6) and Cox Media out of Tulsa. 

There are probably a few strikes against me...including how old I am. Who (outside of my current employer) wants to take a chance on someone approaching 50 with a total of 6 years of radio experience spanning 26 years (my first radio stint was 1994-98 out in the Clinton/Weatherford area). Station groups today would rather prefer someone fresh out of schools like OU or OSU with a journalism degree in hand ready to hit the ground running...and dare I say it, people that are a hell of a lot better looking than me.

This doesn't mean I am willing to give up my duties with Community Renewal or the Red Cross...I volunteer my time with those organizations and I have a blast doing so. I have developed lots of friendships with the people I work with. Of course if Sharon and I have to relocate outside of Oklahoma that would be different.

This was something that was just stirring around in me in the last couple of months and right now just putting fingers to keyboard and airing my thoughts out. Hopefully with high school football season coming up there will be more opportunities for me on Friday nights outside of producing Wewoka Tiger broadcasts.

That's about all I have for now. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment